After Action Report: Dec 4th

riafomh
    The Chain Smoker
    The Chain Smoker

After Action Report: Dec 4th

Post by riafomh on Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:14 pm

In military terms, an After-Action-Report, or AAR, is prepared by Field Commanders, detailing events of the engagement. This tracks such things as numbers of KIA and wounded, who should be recommended for medals, promotions, etc., and of course most important of all, it allows for a retrospective analysis of the objectives and tactics employed for such.

Please, anyone and everyone, give your AAR comments here.

reality is a figment of my hallucination
    riafomh
    The Chain Smoker
    The Chain Smoker

Re: After Action Report: Dec 4th

Post by riafomh on Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:18 pm

< - Copied From Elsewhere - >

riafomh wrote:
    Moliat wrote:
    riafomh wrote:
    Timing and coordination. If the Flankers start too soon, the enemy is likely to catch them. If the Fixed Force is taking too long to establish while the Flankers are waiting around to go, then the same is likely. If the Flankers are too slow to act when the Fixing Force is first establishing, they will lose their best opportunity to attack a distracted enemy. You get the idea.

This was truly apparent tonight. We suffered from poor coordination between our fixing and flanking forces, which lead to failed attacks time and again. In the end when we had only 7 tickets left we just decided to go all in with everything, and amazingly we barely pushed through. In general however our attacks should not have succeeded since you had coordinated a far better defense than we did, and our flanking-and-fixing forces coordination was far from sufficient.

Funny, Moliat, I thought you did very well. It's hard to effectively set up both the Fixing Force and a Flanking Force with such small numbers - which is why you did so much better in the latter part of the map where it's all close quarters urban door-to-door stuff and much easier to get around us and hide inside/behind buildings/hills etc.

Smart move also bringing up your tanks TOGETHER, as so often they get used (and destroyed) individually. We often engaged the first tank to show up and "blowing our wad" on it and then realizing 'oh shit' that the 2nd tank was rolling in (while waiting helplessly to reload our RPGs). The 1st tank was a great distraction for the 2nd.

riafomh
    The Chain Smoker
    The Chain Smoker

Illuminator for Squad Captain

Post by riafomh on Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:41 pm

Preamble Clarification: the first Conquest battle on Heavy Metal map.

In today's event, Moliat put me in charge of my team. I immediately made Tim (Illuminator) my 2nd-in-command, and gave him a specific task: use fast vehicles such as quads (less useful) or the jeep (more useful) to be a quick and mobile helicopter-dodging flag-capturing tracer-darting anti-helicopter squad.

As usual when the game started, squads were mixed up and confused, and I found myself in a squad of 2 (with Kakkura) while the other 4 members were in their own squad (Illuminator's). As I found myself in the Havoc (with Kakkura backing me up as an Engineer) this seemed okay to me, and I went with it.

Next I practiced the art of 'staying out their way' when it came to Illuminator's (can I just call him Tim...) squad. As I was forward in the fight and not privy to what was going on with them, I left well enough alone and just worked with Kakkura (who was awesome, even without a mic).

All the while I can hear Tim leading his squad, the guys working out tactics, calling out actions, etc.

I just want to say that I endorse Tim (Illuminator) as a leader and Squad Captain. In essence, really, for that first part of the battle, HE was more in charge of the situation than I was. This was circumstantial I suppose, but he rose to the occasion and took it on.

I can't say as that I really knew how effective he was, but I would encourage those that played under him today to comment pro and con as to his abilities. Mine too, for that matter.

As for myself, I felt like I was 'weak' in leading at the start, but came on better later on, especially in the Rush match against Moliat. (I don't know why it is, but I seem to do my best when playing against him...)

riafomh
    The Chain Smoker
    The Chain Smoker

Kudos to Kakkura

Post by riafomh on Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:49 pm

Had no mic, but was great today. He followed me everywhere like a puppy, ready to sit and roll over on command. He was just so damned reliable that I actually found myself taking it as a 'given' that he was nearby just a few feet away at all times.

I'm not sure what DFA Clan medal I can give him, but I'll pin it on his uniform and give him a Full Attention Salute.

riafomh
    The Chain Smoker
    The Chain Smoker

Kudos to Kazo

Post by riafomh on Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:03 pm

Later on today, after Tim (Illuminator) left, I put Kazo in charge of 2nd squad on our team, when we were defending against Moliat (Rush). I give a lot of credit to Kazo for doing a great job there, in fact to EVERYONE on our team.

There were no Big Heads, no Large Egos, just everyone working well together and EVERYONE showing leadership (following orders is a LEADERSHIP trait - LEADING BY EXAMPLE). Even those who weren't 'leaders' acted like leaders and any one person could and did 'take charge' of a situation at certain times.

We still had our 'leaders' and then at times we all 'followed the leader' - whoever that happened to be in the moment; someone rose to the occasion and everyone else backed him up.

I just want to commend everyone ad nauseum. Forgive me. It's a privilege to work with you all.

Getting back to Kazo - he did a great job leading 2nd squad. If others have comments pro and/or con, please lay it on.

Forum Owner

Post by Forum Owner on Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:03 am

I WISH I COULD HAVE MADE IT OMG! Sad
    Moliat
    Clan Leader
    Clan Leader

Post by Moliat on Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:55 am

riafomh wrote: don't know why it is, but I seem to do my best when playing against Moliat...

Probably because you know my tactics and because I keep using the same all the time, which isn't too good of me.

You smell that? Napalm, son. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. It smells like... victory!
    - Colonel Kilgore (1st Air Cavalry), 'Apocalypse Now!'
    riafomh
    The Chain Smoker
    The Chain Smoker

Post by riafomh on Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:47 pm

Moliat wrote:Probably because you know my tactics and because I keep using the same all the time, which isn't too good of me.

Wow... really? Funny, to me it feels like I don't know your tactics and that you change them all the time....

But yeah, maybe you have something there... Maybe I'm starting to 'read' you instinctively or something... Or just lucky...

(Oh hey, Crush, be proud of me - I just about made this 2 posts)

BestFriendEvr

Post by BestFriendEvr on Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:55 pm

Would love to have attended guys. But my mic is broken :/

Wont talk to you all for probably about another month.
    kakkura49
    Bullseye!
    Bullseye!

Post by kakkura49 on Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:38 am

riafomh wrote:Had no mic, but was great today. He followed me everywhere like a puppy, ready to sit and roll over on command. He was just so damned reliable that I actually found myself taking it as a 'given' that he was nearby just a few feet away at all times.

I'm not sure what DFA Clan medal I can give him, but I'll pin it on his uniform and give him a Full Attention Salute.

Well, that's my aim. : ) The second I get a mic, communication will be my top priority. And hopefully you guys won't get sick of all of my talking and excessive information tossing. hahaha.
    Moliat
    Clan Leader
    Clan Leader

Post by Moliat on Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:21 am

kakkura49 wrote:Well, that's my aim. : ) The second I get a mic, communication will be my top priority. And hopefully you guys won't get sick of all of my talking and excessive information tossing. hahaha.

We already have Kazo doing that, so no worries Very Happy

You smell that? Napalm, son. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. It smells like... victory!
    - Colonel Kilgore (1st Air Cavalry), 'Apocalypse Now!'

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:41 pm