Need to ease off a bit

riafomh
    The Chain Smoker
    The Chain Smoker

Need to ease off a bit

Post by riafomh on Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:36 am

Hey everyone. I've been doing a little self-evaluation here and I've come to the realization that this has been consuming me far too much; other areas of my life are taking a hit. So before the wife leaves me, I lose my day job, and I never get another acting or editing gig again, I need to resist the urge to play so much and paste these forums so much as I have been this past while.

Don't worry, I won't be GONE, I'm just gonna ease back on the throttle a bit and put in less time at the office, is all (the Clan). I still want to get that guide completed and things like that, it'll just happen more slowly, and you should still see me online, but don't be surprised if it isn't as much as it has been in the past.

reality is a figment of my hallucination
    gdead65
    GD
    GD

Re: Need to ease off a bit

Post by gdead65 on Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:35 am

Roger That! Glad you caught it before you fell into the abyss!!!

CrushNZ
    Sex Muffin
    Sex Muffin

Post by CrushNZ on Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:19 am

Good call <3
    ChinaDarwin44

Post by ChinaDarwin44 on Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:16 am

I feel you Ria, I've been on a ridiculous amount of time since I joined the clan...wife is starting to get annoyed...luckily I can still play when she sleeps, but she hates going to bed alone....I doubt its near your level, but if I keep going like I have been, there could be problems.

On a side note, just got off and a kid who friend-ed me on Borderlands joined our party, I thought he might get shit from someone in the party, but you were really nice and laid back. It's quite relaxing playing with you, even if were just messing around in Squad rush with no opponents and picking on Noble.

I'll see you when I see you.
    KennyMcKillmick
    You Killed Kenny!
    You Killed Kenny!

Post by KennyMcKillmick on Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:10 am

Respect Ria, respect!

Clan Leader

Post by Moliat on Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:24 am

I'm glad you made this choice, you had been working your ass off on the forums lately.

I am doing the same thing myself, past events have made me realise that I am spending too much time administrating DFA. I need to have more confidence in the admins to run things, and they deserve no less.

You smell that? Napalm, son. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. It smells like... victory!
    - Colonel Kilgore (1st Air Cavalry), 'Apocalypse Now!'
    kakkura49
    Bullseye!
    Bullseye!

Post by kakkura49 on Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:42 am

I can take some of the load on the orums if there is anything you need me to do, but your not the only ones who need to hold off on the 360 for a while XD

Rifle set. Round in place. Fix sights, Check. Hold breath, Brace...
    Pretty pink mist...
    Illluminator
    Timmeh
    Timmeh

Post by Illluminator on Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:45 am

I on the contrary are spending 2 much time with my real friends :P and need to get out there some more.
    Falls
    iI Duce
    iI Duce

Post by Falls on Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:35 am

IRL > DFA always. Smile
    Moliat
    Clan Leader
    Clan Leader

Post by Moliat on Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:09 am

Falls wrote:IRL > DFA always. Smile

Quoted for truth.

You smell that? Napalm, son. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. It smells like... victory!
    Drunkenwolf7

Post by Drunkenwolf7 on Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:17 pm

I am doing the same thing at the moment. Some guy who works for Tom Cruise is reading one of my scripts right now and is possibly going to buy/ help me sell it! I need to get a few more scripts out so if they want to see more of my work I have some available. I will still play, but not as often. Very Happy
    riafomh
    The Chain Smoker
    The Chain Smoker

Post by riafomh on Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:41 am

Drunkenwolf7 wrote:I am doing the same thing at the moment. Some guy who works for Tom Cruise is reading one of my scripts right now and is possibly going to buy/ help me sell it! I need to get a few more scripts out so if they want to see more of my work I have some available. I will still play, but not as often. Very Happy

I'm jealous. Can I help? Oh, and Tom's too old now to be the Star, so I can do it...

Moliat
    Clan Leader
    Clan Leader

Post by Moliat on Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:58 am

Go for it, Drunken!

Drunkenwolf7

Post by Drunkenwolf7 on Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:18 pm

Thanks Moliat! Very Happy

And Ria haha, I wish I could help you man, but I don't cast people lol.
    riafomh
    The Chain Smoker
    The Chain Smoker

Post by riafomh on Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:22 pm

Yeah, don't worry, trust me, I know how every process of this industry works...

shimvolski

Post by shimvolski on Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:22 pm

Good choice Ria, balance is one of those things in life you constantly have to adjust. Tell your wife she is awesome and we all appreciate the sacrifice so far!!

Drunken, 3 words for you.....you complete me.
    Drunkenwolf7

Post by Drunkenwolf7 on Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:39 pm

I complete you? :O Very Happy

Oh, and Ria, what part of the Industry do you work in?
    riafomh
    The Chain Smoker
    The Chain Smoker

Post by riafomh on Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:23 pm

Drunkenwolf7 wrote:Oh, and Ria, what part of the Industry do you work in?

I don't, and that's the problem.

Nothing steady anyway.

Let's see... (and sorry in advance for all the run-on sentences...) I've acted on stage, TV, and Film. I've directed plays (starting in High School, even went to a regional festival where I/we won 3 awards, including Best Director), been a Stage Manager and a host of other Techie posts, continued this trend into college, where I was also singin' and dancin' in a musical, later went on to a national acting school (The Film & Theatre School of Canada, or simply FTS for short) where I auditioned along with 132 others for only 16 spots and got in, got into camera work and writing and directing for film and TV (including how the editing works, but without the hands-on), did a few shorts that way, some for myself, some for others (such as promo videos or training videos - did one for a Martial Arts school), continued to act mostly on stage, but some on-camera work (film or TV), decided to push the production side of things, went to another school and spent much $$$ learning as much as possible, where I picked up my current tools of the trade, a camera, a laptop, and professional editing software, directed several shorts, mostly written by me, and several I also acted in as well (trying to be Clint Eastwood I guess...), in addition to creating a couple music vids, a documentary, a promotional trailer (like a movie trailer, but to get investment), a mock-commercial (quite funny), etc, etc, etc,..... Also did editing for an Indie Movie, mostly musical montages and so forth. Along the way I've been everything from an Art Director to Cameraman to Boom Operator to a 1st Ad to the guy with the sign holding back traffic (yeah I had a ticket for that) for all sorts of indie films and little projects. Even done the PA thing, both on set and in the office. Actually, played the Producer a number of times for my stuff, but mostly don't think of that as I am actually concentrating on the other stuff, but really the Producer's role gets it off the ground.

I just finished (as in TODAY, YAAAYYYY!!!) the final editing for this fellow who needed it for a Webcast Seminar and also for his in-house training presentations he does at the JI (Justice Institute, a training facility here). We created a 'script' together, and I was a one-man production crew directing it (his actors), running the camera, doing the lighting, etc., then finally culling and editing all the footage. Had to learn how to convert the footage into flash video files for broadcast on the web.

As an actor I have also done a lot of 'live' training with Police, Social Workers, Deputy Sheriffs, Doctors, Paramedics, etc. Much of it was at the aforementioned JI (Justice Institute), but for some of it I flew all over the Province with a small team of us (4 people) doing these things. Often it was part of their certification, or re-certification, of their credentials. My nearly photographic memory came into play here, as I would need to know down to the Nth detail exactly which nerve cluster ran down which part of the back and down the legs in order to be able to tell the reviewing physician that it's numb here, hurts here, but not here, etc.

My favorite at the JI was the Deputy Sheriff's Hostage Taking Exercise. Basically, myself and another crazy actor would burst into the classroom, take the entire room hostage, firing guns (with blanks) and the whole she-bang. It was funny - they would know in advance that they were doing that that day, but we had this great set-up. We would of course be there well in advance, but the instructor would give them a preamble before we started and then sigh and say, "Well, I gotta go find out about these guys, they're always late, you know, actors...." We would of course be waiting (and listening) just around the corner.... burst into the room BOOM!! BOOM!! BOOM!! EVERYBODY DOWN ON THE MOTHERFUCKING FLOOR!! DON'T FUCKING MOVE!! and all that. But the cool thing is, no matter what, every single time, even though they 'know' we're coming, the ENTIRE room of heads suddenly JUMPS about 4 inches when we do that.... It would be an all day, exhausting exercise, and we really put them through their paces. They'd get the actual hostage negotiators on the phone with us (so they can practice, too) and we'd negotiate everything all day, especially lunch in exchange for some prisoners. Eating lunch in front of your hostages while pretending you might actually share it with them was... fun in the most cruel way.

Anyway, blah blah blah I could go on and on but I've done enough already I think. Barely touched the surface or did it justice, I'm sure.

So basically, I know all the positions, even the ones I haven't done. I've helped many people launch some good stuff, still waiting for my 'big break', if there even is such a thing anymore.

Okay, getting depressed now...

Drunkenwolf7

Post by Drunkenwolf7 on Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:23 pm

DUDE! THAT IS AWESOME! You must have had a freaking awesome time!

Yeah, it is hard to get a jump in the film industry, you have to have the right connections, and the hardest part is being at the right place at the right time, That is why I am going to move to L.A. When I turn 18, so I can start working hands on with the fellow "Hollywood" people.

Hollywood is a hard business to get into though, if you go apply for somewhere and they decline, you, don't give up. Take a look at what you did wrong, improve on it, and keep going back! So many actors and screen writers have been held of for YEARS. I believe the movie "One Flew Over the cucoos nest" didn't actually get created until 11 (or 7) years after it was written, it is crazy!

You just have to keep on working and not give up, because you never know what opportunity you could miss.

Some day (soon) you are going to get there, just come up with the thought that "I am going to get my "big break" and do EVERYTHING possible to get there.

I know this sounds childish (because well...I am STILL a kid :P) but you just have to put positive energy towards what you are doing. This may sound Crazy, but COMMUNICATE with whatever you are doing as well, because if you have an idea, and you never do anything about it, logic tells you that nothing is going to happen. But if you keep that Idea close, and "talk" to it, success is right around the corner!
    Illluminator
    Timmeh
    Timmeh

Post by Illluminator on Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:53 pm

I will pay the expenses for the mental hospital, talk to ideas, bah. :P :P Smile
    Moliat
    Clan Leader
    Clan Leader

Post by Moliat on Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:56 pm

"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right" - Henry Ford

Noble Insolence

Post by Noble Insolence on Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:00 pm

Drunkenwolf7 wrote:DUDE! THAT IS AWESOME! You must have had a freaking awesome time!

Yeah, it is hard to get a jump in the film industry, you have to have the right connections, and the hardest part is being at the right place at the right time, That is why I am going to move to L.A. When I turn 18, so I can start working hands on with the fellow "Hollywood" people.

Hollywood is a hard business to get into though, if you go apply for somewhere and they decline, you, don't give up. Take a look at what you did wrong, improve on it, and keep going back! So many actors and screen writers have been held of for YEARS. I believe the movie "One Flew Over the cucoos nest" didn't actually get created until 11 (or 7) years after it was written, it is crazy!

You just have to keep on working and not give up, because you never know what opportunity you could miss.

Some day (soon) you are going to get there, just come up with the thought that "I am going to get my "big break" and do EVERYTHING possible to get there.

I know this sounds childish (because well...I am STILL a kid :P) but you just have to put positive energy towards what you are doing. This may sound Crazy, but COMMUNICATE with whatever you are doing as well, because if you have an idea, and you never do anything about it, logic tells you that nothing is going to happen. But if you keep that Idea close, and "talk" to it, success is right around the corner!

Yeah bro you just got to believe! =) Drunken when you write something like that and then you have Isaac below holding his head it just makes me laugh! Lol! I imagine him saying that to me lol!! XD
    Drunkenwolf7

Post by Drunkenwolf7 on Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:34 pm

LMAO!!!!
    Dolo

Post by Dolo on Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:30 pm

Kudo's guys very noble of you!!!!! Yah my time will defiantly slope down when my son is born around may 3rd but with me signing up for CSM I think it will be the perfect way to stay online and competitive
    riafomh
    The Chain Smoker
    The Chain Smoker

Post by riafomh on Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:32 pm

Thanks Drunken, I appreciate it.

How 'bout that, eh? The young'un givin' sage advice and encouragement to the ol' man....

Too cool.

(I feel younger already Very Happy )

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:51 am